Monday 12 October 2009

My Life so Far

It is the eve of my eighteenth birthday. I'm so excited. Goodbye fake ID (Thought Police - I DO NOT have a fake ID).
Birthdays usually make me feel uncomfortable because I didn't put much effort into being born. My Mum did most of the work. Presents often make me feel awkward and I never ask for anything from people who offer to buy me. This year is no different. However, for the first time since I can remember, I'm looking forward to the extra bit of attention.

I want to start living like an eighteen year old right now! I don't know what 'living like an eighteen year old' means...presumably that I act in exactly the same way I do now but get into pubs.

My sister made me a video for my birthday. We watched it as a family because my Dad would have left in the morning by the time I wake up.
The video was amazing. Possibly the best present I have ever had. It was a collection of film essentially depicting my life so far with Coldplay (my favourite band) playing in the background. It's so odd to think how far I've come, how much I've changed and how much I'm still changing. Although that's probably overly sentimental in regards to a birthday, I truly believe it.
This is a card my family got me that I opened so my Dad could see me open it in front of everyone:
You realise how amazing it is to have people that care about you randomly at different moments. It makes everything else seem completely irrelevant - just like when Grandpa was unwell. I learnt the value of focusing on what I do have, rather than what I don't.

I took a mock HAT test today and I learnt that they are bloody tricky. However, at the same time I learnt a little about the Franks dynasty in the 6th Century. I was in a room with some of the smartest people in our year and felt kind of out of place. Maybe I'm selling myself short but I found it pretty difficult.

No comments:

Post a Comment