Thursday 8 October 2009

Old Uncle Adolf

My Mum has continued her search into our family's history and found some really interesting things. Most of our information has come from the 1911 census data and has been fascinating.
I'd previously come to accept the dissapointingly miniscule amount of knowledge I had regarding my family but now that lots of new pieces of information are coming together my intrigue is growing. These people are part of who I am. Not mentally or emotionally but physically as parts of their DNA live on in me. What I find most thought provoking is the notion of the totally different world they lived in. Most of the census data indicates that there were various infant mortality's and that some were illegal immigrants who were not even on the census. Today I learnt that my family origins are entirely from Russia and that I had a Great Great Uncle called Adolf.

I told my cousin about this discovery and he commented;

"from now on he shall be known as 'old uncle adolf' and shall be brought up in conversation whenever possible i.e. 'immigration too high? well as old uncle adolf would've said...'"

I also learnt the basics behind Calvinist thinking and some information on the Holy Roman Empire.

No comments:

Post a Comment