Tuesday 4 August 2009

Finally, Guitar!

Oh dear. A loss of respectability...just got home from a pub in Camden called Quinn’s. This blog entry probably won't be very eloquent. Bear with me.

I have had a long day. I woke up at 8am (as I'm done with lie-ins now) and got washed, ate breakfast and made my way to the gym for an epic two hour session. This is in preparation for the rugby season whereby I want to ensure I am not snapped like a twig - perfectly logical, no? It’s also revitalising and I feel fresh at the end of a workout. I'm going to try and go tomorrow morning too.



During the middle of the day I became frustrated. This blog seems to have altered my attitude slightly. When I get up I can't help but focus on what I can achieve that day. What can I write on the blog? What have I learnt? Has my day been worthwhile?

After making some notes on my personal statement and doing some research on a potential gap year I found myself bored. I'm not sure about a gap year as inter railing for £388 after school is over would probably suffice. I'll think about it.

They say boredom is character building but before I could decide what to do with myself I ended up talking to a friend who I haven't seen or properly spoken to since I got home from America. She is really into juggling and circus tricks so after having spoken to her I found my juggling balls to see where it would lead me. I was learning a new skill and, although essentially pointless, it's leagues better than sitting around doing nothing of any value. After about 40 minutes I competently juggled with three balls. Then I got carried away and tried to learn a trick called Mills or something from YouTube. After 2 hours I decided I was almost there but had to stop.

I stopped because I had been juggling for almost 3 hours (and I thought my arms were about to fall off) but also as I had my first ever guitar lesson. I have always wanted to be able to play since I began to listen to good music from the age of 13. I cannot believe it has taken me almost 5 years to take it upon myself to get a lesson. I loved it. I'm going to practise (albeit on my sisters guitar) until my fingers are bleeding. I write songs and hopefully I will finally be able to write a tune to them myself rather than getting somebody else to do it.

Later I went to a mates to watch 40 Days and 40 Nights before leaving to go to Quinn's. On my walk back to the tube station after the pub one of the girl's who was with us disappeared around a corner. Thinking she was on the phone I went after her whilst saying my goodbyes. Turned out she was squatting on the floor taking a piss. Charming. Possibly the best first impression known to man. There is no bigger turn on than having to avoid a girl's trail of urine that is menacingly making its way towards you along the pavement...Although disgusting, I can't recall the last time I have laughed so hard.

I got the train back with Miles who can be seen here - five pints to the good:




I'm a light weight so after three pints I was gone and have just arrived home in a drunken huff. I decided I would be totally dedicated to this blog and have written in it anyway despite my poor alcohol laiden articulation.

So, the big question...what have I learnt today?

I'm not one to avoid a profanity so I suppose having my first guitar lesson has shown me the value of just trying something new. It sounds so simple but I think people are afraid of that concept - 'What if I'm bad at it?' 'I cba...' etc etc. I often take that attitude and I'm desparate to rid myself of it. Its self destructive and lazy. I learnt to juggle (kind of), which is a new skill and I picked up a few basic chords on guitar - so it's been a decent day.

No comments:

Post a Comment