Wednesday 5 August 2009

Reggie Watts

Having found myself playing on the guitar for the first hour of my day I noticed that it was 10.30am and I didn't have time to get ready for the gym, walk down there and workout. By then my fingers were completely purple and it still hurts to type with my left hand...
I had to find another activity. I didn't have any plans for during the day so took it upon myself to do some extensive research for university.
I created a folder of all the courses I'm thinking of taking and their corresponding universities. This is because I am cool. Eventually I found a History and Politics course at Nottingham that looked ideal.
Although useful, I really didn't find my morning to be particularly productive, which frustrated me as I'm now desperate not to any waste time.
I did eventually get down to the gym but it was disappointing. In contrast with my two hour workout yesterday it was far more light hearted and less intense as I was tired and subsequently lazy. The poison laziness.

The evening turned my whole day around though. I had been asked to go see a comedian (if you can call him that) called Reggie Watts at the Soho Theatre. It's a small theatre and only holds about 140 people. I had no idea it was there before this evening.



Tonight was the kind of thing I would just say no to simply because it would mean I'd have to travel in a manner that doesn't include the 82 bus route. I realised that this edginess of not wanting to go to an area just because I don't really know it is both stupid and lazy - again with the bloody laziness.

So tonight, I went.

What a good decision too. Reggie was awesome.



He used a loop machine and created songs just using his own voice. His vocal range was crazy and he was a massively talented singer and pianist too. Just by being odd and funny and border-line insane he left the audience in hysterics.
Definitely an acquired taste as I can't think of too many people that would have enjoyed it other than my two friends Sam and Louis who I went with.



This was the video I had seen of Reggie before I went, 'What about Blowjobs?' - http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1771127

Afterwards we began to walk to the station when Louis suggested that we go back and wait for Reggie to leave. Sam was up for it but for some reason I was sceptical. I snapped out of it and quite literally said 'fuck it why not?' and we all went back.
We did meet him. He was really friendly and seemed genuinely touched that we had stayed behind to tell him how much we enjoyed the show. Louis and Sam plan to watch it again as they were assured by Reggie that the show was basically all improvised and would be different tomorrow night. I wish I could go but I've already got plans.

I walked home from the tube station. The walk was relaxing as always and the moon was particularly bright. The kind of bright that gives the sky a deep blue colour. Walking home at night clears your head. It takes about 5 minutes more than the bus so I really don't know why I do it so rarely.

Today I learnt that I need to have a better idea of what I want to do with my life after school is over. I'm not far off starting my last year and have barely done any research on universities. That's changed slightly now though. Also walking home is better than getting the bus...unless it’s raining.
I've also learnt how to overcome that mental obstical I seem to meet when something out of the ordinary comes along. I had such a fun evening and even met the guy who made it so fun, which left us all buzzing. Plus I learnt that some American's really can pull British accents. Reggie Watts is from Montana and his English accent is better than mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment