Monday 3 August 2009

In Good Company

When I was about 14 I decided I had gone off reading. I resorted to playing Football Manager and watching hours of pointless television. Reading really is great and I underestimated how much more enjoyable reading a book (with my cat at the bottom of my bed) is than sitting aimlessly in front of a TV screen watching the Sky Sports News headlines over and over again untill I could recite the post-match interview with Ronaldo by heart. I'm currently about to finish Brideshead Revisited, a book by Evelyn Waugh, which I am studying for English A2 Level.



Its brilliant and I can't get over how easily I have been sucked into it. Finally, 'unputadownable' means something to me again.

I carried out arrangements to see a friend today. She surprised me by telling me that she used to be a tom-boy and by giving me a real run for my money at a game of table tennis. I have a ping pong table in my garden but today was the first time I had opened it up in ages - possibly 2 or 3 years. It was literally covered in spider webs and dead leaves. What a disgrace it is that I am lucky enough to have a table tennis table but never even bother to play on it when I have people round!

We went for a walk on the heath as the weather was good. Again, I live a 15 minute walk from Hampstead Heath and I rarely even bother going there. It really is right around the corner and I am passive enough to just sit at home when I could be going out and enjoying the sun as well as another person's company in an atmosphere that is vastly superior to that of my Spurs-decorated bedroom. My room also happens to be untidy and filled with more uselessness than a water-proof sponge factory.
I would usually have planned a day like today out but instead decided to see what happened. It was good hanging with somebody I hadn't seen in ages but not so good when I bumped into a teacher from my school in the process. This is always awkward. Always.





Later I found out that many of my friends were going to my ex-girlfriends house as her parents are away. Naturally, (especially due to how recently we split) I wasn't invited so I had to find something else to do. I was kind of annoyed I would miss out on seeing a lot of people I wanted to see, all in one place, drinking and presumably having a good time. Fortunately, I found something else to do and spent the best part of my evening chatting and playing Whist. I definitely had a better time than I would have pretty much anywhere else. Sure, we weren't numerous or doing anything particularly active but when you're with two good friends you realise that you don't need to be at a party to have fun. As Will said - "why do people seem to think you need to be in a big group to have a good time?"

He's right and people tend to forget that. I did. The disappointment when texts saying 'hey are you doing anything tonight?' are met with replies along the lines of 'nothing I can't find anything' is unnecessary. Why, I wonder, do some people then think there isn't any point in going out? I reckon everyone must have a group of people they consider to be their closest companions. So on a night like that - go see them. Why the hell wouldn't you? You'll almost certainly enjoy it more than sitting at home by yourself.

Today I learnt that reading is as great as ever and after I've finished Brideshead I'll move straight onto my next book. I reinforced the old notion of looks being deceiving and believe you me - you would never have thought my friend as ever being a tom-boy if you met her now. I learnt that I have to try harder to take full advantage of the resources around me - the heath is a perfect place to go if I have nothing to do on a clear day. Lastly, it’s obvious now that I don't need to be in a big group of people who are smoking or drinking to have a good time - it’s the company itself that really counts.

No comments:

Post a Comment