Friday 25 September 2009

Back Seat

After ending a driving lesson at my friend's house he proceeded to drive me home for the best part of his lesson. He's only just begun driving so when he indicated right after being told to turn left and made several jittery gear changes it inevitably lead to mockery. He was actually rather good for his third drive - much better than I was anyway.
As I was sitting in the back seat, reading an old copy of The Sun and occasionally making a remark about the quality of his driving or the Page Three model I realised something.
I remember when I was at the same stage of learning that he is at currently and how impossible it all seemed. I remember not going into third gear for the whole hour out on the road and how frustrating it is when that annoying bastard behind you beeps their horn at you - the poor, innocent learner - when you're nothing more than ‘Bambi on road’.
I've been learning how to drive far longer than he has and therefore I know more about it. So I could see where he was going to make mistakes and where he wasn't.
The point I'm seemingly struggling to make is that this subtle observation can be applied to the lessons learnt in a lifetime. Bare with me here. People, generally, seem to go through a series of mutual situations at different times. Whether it's a relationship, work or family hardship the chances are somebody you know has been through it before or a variation of such. From their experience they move forward, suffer, mature and have a mixture of responses. Subsequently they learn something but often don’t pass it on to others that it could aid. People often keep such issues and resulting potential advice to themselves because they don't want to come across as condescending or 'holier than thou'.
I couldn't tell my friend what to do in the car as that's the instructors job but nevertheless as this thought came into my head, I learnt that you're no help to anyone if you take the back seat and watch them make mistakes they don't need to make.

No comments:

Post a Comment