Tuesday 15 September 2009

Whoops.

This time yesterday: "I should regulate the amount of work I take on just in case it begins to drown me a little"

Whoops.

As of today I am responsible for:
-->The Leavers Video
-->Involvement in the Year Book
-->Helping out with the 6th Form Ball
-->Leavers Hoodies

I've wanted to be apart of making the Leavers Video since I heard such a thing existed. I didn't expect to be put in charge of it though...
With that said I'm delighted because I really believe we can make the best one yet! I will have a lesser roll in the other activities I've agreed to help with but there will still be a lot of work. I'm glad to help out as most of my close friends are leading the other tasks.
Work won't start until much later in the year when my current workload is reduced so it shouldn't be too bad!

After I went to the gym today I helped out at a year 7 parents evening. As you can imagine it's a riveting job - giving out labels and sheets to parents. Some of these parents come up to me (clearly a student) and say things like, "Hi, I'm Michelle...Dominic's Mum" or "Are you Mr. Roberts?" which is about the only entertainment of the evening. Says a lot.
One parent was my friends Mum and as she approached I got her sticker - Ms Chow - and passed it to her saying;
"Good to see somebody I know!" with a friendly smile.
She looked completely bemused. Then suddenly her face morphed into anger and she remarked "did you know it was me because I'm Chinese!?"
"No! Because you're Gavin's mum!". I've known Gavin since I was four and she said that she just didn't recognise me!

Even though there was no wrong doing - it was just a misunderstanding - it's interesting to see how sensitive people are about race.
Is it racist to impersonate an accent for example? If you say a stereotypical phrase in a given accent then I think most people would consider it so. But what if you just spoke in it? I think people would consider it 'more' racist to impersonate somebody from, lets say, India than the USA or Scotland. Maybe because the latter cultures are 'closer to home'?
I think the entire idea of racism is actually quite vague. It's a taboo word. It ends conversations or arguments and categorises a person into social isolation.
Would an Athletics commentator at the recent World Championships have been sacked for pointing out there were no white men in the 100m final? Or that a white man had never run under 10 seconds? That's just the truth. Facts.
People are so ridiculously sensitive and ready to fire out the 'R' word that it almost becomes daft!
That's more of a brief and poorly detailed afterthought. I didn't actually think about that at the time. It was too awkward to function properly...
I have to go and read The Whisperers by Orlando Figes now so...
Today I learnt that some people are just bad eggs and should be avoided. (This ambiguous comment won't go into further detail as this blog isn't a reason to create conflict).
I learnt how to play Honkey Tonk Women on guitar by the Rolling Stones. I'm pretty rubbish at it right now though!
I further learnt that Spotify is just the most amazing thing ever after I found out it had Mando Diao on it. They are this obscure Swedish band that I love. Nobody else does. I hope they're not actually shit.

No comments:

Post a Comment