Sunday 13 September 2009

An Extra 90 Minutes

I’m glad to say that I was involved in one sporting victory this weekend. Athletic Bilbaum, the Sunday League team I play for won 5-1 this morning. The standard isn't high and the fitness levels of most the players is really low so it's quite comfortable for my friends in team, who nearly all have rugby training 3 times a week. In fact the match acted like a warm down from Rugby yesterday, which made it really enjoyable. Obviously winning 5-1 helped too.
We also have a really nice kit: I have the number 13 shirt. Unlucky for some eh? Fortunately all superstition is bullshit so, unlike most of the team, I'm happy to wear it.
After football I went to visit my Grandpa who’s at home now. He's walking around and I was so relieved to see him moving about again. It's brilliant to see him doing better.
Then, for the first time this weekend, I relaxed at home. I've never been so tired at the end of a weekend and literally hadn't had any free time whatsoever until this afternoon. I read through my politics text book and redrafted my Personal Statement as well as attempting to teach myself a new song on guitar. Usually, that would all be quite a bit of work but compared to what I've been up to of late that didn't seem like much at all.
Today I learnt that being this tired at the end of a weekend is worth it for an extra 90 minutes of football.
I started to learn how to play 'Mary' by The Subways on guitar. I'm trying to teach it to myself and it's kind of tricky but I'll get there eventually.
I learnt what 'Utilitarianism' is and that seeing Grandpa go down the stairs, a normally mundane task, can actually make my weekend despite everything else that happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment