Tuesday 1 September 2009

Fully Functioning Adults

The frequency that I have been going to the gym has thinned out and that showed today. We had our first rugby session of the year and not only did I feel as if I was going to collapse by the end but I managed to completely screw up my neck. Major ouch. I currently have an ice pack bundled over my shoulder in an attempt to stop the swelling. Still going to Loughborough.
I looked forward to the session today so much and I rediscovered how I really love playing rugby for the school. I'm in the top year now and find it odd how intimidated the year below's seem by my year. They mostly look our age and act like we do. It seems bizarre how some of us could possibly be intimidating especially because we are very possibly the smallest and weediest rugby team the world has ever seen.
Straight from training I went to Simon's 18th birthday BBQ. It's so odd that I have a friend who is 18 and that I'm going to be that age in just over a month. We really don't act like adults for the most part. It's somewhat scary that in no time at all we will be fending for ourselves and fully functioning adults. Maybe its time we pulled our socks up and started acting our age. I'm undecided if forcing that natural process of maturity is healthy though...
Even though I learnt very little I had a nice day. I was put into a good mood from the moment I woke up by a lovely message from a friend. I wish I could read something like that every morning because then every day would start off so pleasantly.
Today I learnt that it was a mistake to bypass my formally obsessive gym-going and that it's important I give everything I have this season in rugby. I have to set an example for the younger guys and it's my last year. I want all of us to go out with a bang.
I also learnt how to work one of those cheap ready-made barbeques and yes, I am embarrassed I couldn't do that before this afternoon.

Also, on a side note, we left our tent at Reading as we couldn't be bothered to carry the bloody thing home. This is how it looked 2 hours after we left:
I didn't learn anything from this other than if you leave a massive tent at a festival it will get trashed.

No comments:

Post a Comment