Monday 7 September 2009

Return of the Routine

Even though I haven't been having proper lie in's for the most part of the summer getting up at 7am was hard. My waking up 'process' never goes well either;
...Alarm rings...shut it off...alarm rings again...shut it off again...
...oh shit I've overslept...
...that fucking alarm didn't wake me up...I should get a new one...

School doesn't seem to change much. It gives off that weary feeling that you never left - like summer never happened. Although I'm obsessively organised (neurotic, I've been told) I don't like the idea of the school routine taking over everything I do. I don't want this coming year to fizzle out before me and just pass by.
I'm not going to suddenly 'stick it to the man', begin wearing bandana's and dye the school's swimming pool pink but oddly it's as if school is somewhat restricting. I've never thought about that before today, which makes it extremely out of the blue as I'm staring my 13th and final school year and that thought never once crossed my mind before.
Restricting on what?
I'm not sure exactly. What a rubbish answer.
Here's a cheeky quote from Mark Twain; "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."That's what I feel all of a sudden. Like there are things out there in the wider world that cannot possibly be learnt at school. It’s a vague quote and a vague notion that doesn't really mean anything specific other than school can restrict a 'true' education. I think it sums up what I'm trying to say. I've always remembered that quote and appreciated it but for some reason I can relate to it now when previously it had been nothing more than witism. Also, check out that tache. You've got to trust a man with that kind of commitment.

Writing here is going to become increasingly difficult due to the return of the routine. I can't do what I want during the day now (like go to the park - ROCK ON!) and what I'm learning will predominantly be about history, politics or geography. I want to avoid just noting down a few disjointed and randomly inserted facts. Besides, I read somewhere that you only remember 80% of what you cover during lessons each day...

For me this is the real tester.

Today I learnt how your natural reaction to seeing somebody for the first time in 10 weeks can show how much you actually like them and sometimes it surprises you.
I learnt the basic crux of Marxism and about how a Free Market Economy functions.
I learnt that when we having a rugby session after school that leads us nowhere it can be so unbelievably frustrating and finally I learnt that my position in the 1st XV isn't as secure as I thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment