Saturday 5 September 2009

Worth Raising an Eyebrow to

Today my grandpa looked at me in the eye and said 'I was very ill Samuel'. Tears were in his eyes and his voice was quivering. And there's me sitting next to his hospital bed - almost 18 and in good health. It had finally hit home and Grandpa realised that he nearly died the other day. He is just skin and bone. Completely frail. This being the man I remember playing football with when I was small, now confined to a hospital bed. It's crazy how I thought I had problems. It's surreal writing that.
He also said that 'if you can't smile and laugh then what's the point?’ It scared me how he was trying to convey as many life lessons as he possibly could in the 40 minutes I was there. It's not unusual I suppose. He wants to pass on what he has learnt - not in a day - but over his whole life and desperately. Twenty minutes is about how long it takes me to sum up a whole day. So, for him to come out with a single sentence seems as if its his own life summary and if that’s what 70+ years taught him then I bloody well should listen. I'm going to do everything I possibly can to make sure I smile and laugh as much as is humanly possible.
Sorry for getting all righteous on you. People nearly lose others every day. It affects them in different ways and this is just how it affected me. I’m not going to make the mistake of 'Stop Feeling Sorry for Yourself' and preach out a message to all that only applies to myself but what I am going to point out is that sometimes things aren't even worth raising an eyebrow to.

Everything around me seems so irrelevant suddenly. It'll probably pass.

I don't know why seeing Grandpa has resulted in me thinking like this. Maybe I'm just a bit startled and this feeling will die down but at the moment I cannot see the point in anything that won't make me happy. A lot of things that bother me are of no relevancy to anything - to the bigger picture. To the things that really, really matter like family, like true friends - people who can tell when you're feeling down and who care. This is embaressing because part of me feels as if I will look back at this entry and think I went way over the top. I'm sure my opinion on this matter is just presently extreme and would thin in the morning. Right now, I'm adamant about it.
No, I'm not going to suddenly discard anything that falls outside those two categories. There are plenty of activities I enjoy doing that make me happy and if they are adding direction to reaching that ultimate goal then they should stay present as long as possible.
This isn't meant to be a depressing post. My Grandpa is supposed to be going home soon. I just want to attempt to convey the idea that, for me, looking at the bigger picture is probably the best thing to do whenever you feel confused or unsure of what you want. I felt guilty for going out tonight when he has to be like that.
Today I learnt that some things are completely and utterly irrelevant. I learnt how I need to just move on and put my own interests first sometimes. I don't do that and act as a doormat to far too many people. I learnt that I value my family more than I thought was humanly possible. I learnt that the wise words of my Grandpa can have a far deeper affect on someone than he could have imagined.

No comments:

Post a Comment