Sunday 29 November 2009

Amazing and Worthwhile Thing

26th November


Today I learnt about somebody who used to go to my school. I'm told his name is Nicholas Winter but can't find him online anywhere and it was suggested that the teacher that told me about him wasn't totally sure of his surname.
Anyway. After he left my school he moved to Germany and was responsible for transporting hundreds of children out of the country when war arrived. He didn't tell his wife about his exploits until his 80s when she found loads of letters explaining his deed in their attic. I'm quite disappointed that I can't find anything about him. I'm going to check what his name was again with the teacher I spoke to. Either way I found it odd that somebody who attended my school could go on to do such an amazing and worthwhile thing. Maybe somebody I go to school with will go on to do something on a similar level?
I've almost finished a book I started reading this morning. It's called Uses & Abuses of History by Catherine Merridale (the same author who wrote Peacemakers). I've learnt a lot of disjointed history and highlighted points of interest so I might remember them. I was recommended the book by a history teacher who said that it would help me answer the questions "why do you want to study history?" and "why is history important". Hopefully it'll come in useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment