Thursday 12 November 2009

Pressure

9th November

So Athletic Bilbaum suffered a heavy defeat today. The rugby 1st XV won yesterday, as did Spurs so it was a shame that I didn't manage to have a totally victorious weekend. I learnt that without consistent training our football team is unlikely to progress.

10th November

Spurred on by our win at the weekend, the turnout for the Monday evening training session improved three-fold. Unfortunately we were greeted with the harsh reality of circuit training. There was 9 different exercises...sprinting, press ups, crunches, planks...to name a few. We did the whole circuit 4 times in groups of 4-5. Our coach joined in and stuck with the group I was in. When you know that not putting in your full effort will come under intense scrutiny you don't hold back. If my coach saw me slacking then he would easily be able to take note of it especially if he's right next to me through the whole thing!
With that indirect coercion in mind and in the spirit of Saturday's game - I gave it everything I had. Although I thought I might collapse at the end it was worth it and I learnt that it's about time that I pushed myself for my own benefit - rather than because I'm afraid of what will happen when I don't. I think that applies to lots of people in lots of different areas - not just sport. I reckon most people find easier to really try when they are put under pressure to do so - especially when they are capable. Perhaps some of us would be more successful if we tried harder to apply that pressure on ourselves more often?

No comments:

Post a Comment