Sunday 8 November 2009

Isn't This Exciting!?

4th November

The HAT is done. I won't know how well it went for some time so I'm going to just forget about it. It was great to finally get it out the way - like all exams. There was a question about how a process or event has been characterised by the physical environment. I wrote about how British colonisation was driven by the desire to expand and gain necessary natural resources. I don't know if the Oxford people will buy into that though...I went home and read up on the background to colonisation and actually wasn't too far off. So I learnt about the British colonies and reasons for expansion. Amazingly most of the knowledge I had stemmed from what we are doing in one of my geography classes. Sadly though, in true Geography style the colonisation information was vague but it definitely helped.

ISN'T THIS EXCITING!?

Wow, how insanely boring. Here is a piture of the HAT:
5th November

There's this 15 year kid who lives on my road that is a few years below me at school and we often see each other walking home. The standard practise is just to ignore each other and go on our (almost completely identical) way. For some reason unknown to me at the time I decided to go over to him and chat. The fact we go to the same school gives you something in common and you immediately trust the other person. Also I think this fits in with what I was saying about the '6th former status' bringing a kind of authority - especially at school. We spoke about rugby and a few people in his year that I know. It was a pleasant conversation out of nowhere and exchanges like that give you a good feeling.
It reminded me of when about 6 months ago my class went on a sponsored walk across 10 bridges on the Thames whereby we had to wear this school T-shirts. During the walk a man in his mid-40s approached us and mentioned he went to UCS. He then asked us what Deme (house) we were in and about sport as well as how the new developments (like a new sports centre) were. I really liked the way that the guy still cared about what the school was like and just felt so comfortable talking to people who go to his old school.
I learnt that I will probably always have a sort of connection with people that attended my school.

No comments:

Post a Comment